Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Writing 2 Blog Post for Crit 1

When I first conceptualized this series, it was very clear what I wanted to do and what my purpose and goals were. Since then, not much has changed in my design. After meeting with Rhona McBain, my professor for this Crit Course, I became aware of the importance of SUBJECT vs. CONTENT. The subject, of course being Pittsburg. All encompassing. Content being MYSELF. It is key to keep in mind the purpose of this series, and that is to tell MY story of Pittsburg. What I see. What I like to do. What is important to me and why. However, among all this ME ME ME, there should be little peeks into others stories of Pittsburg. Small glimpses into "Oh THIS is Pittsburg." I 'm not entirely positive how I am going to do this but I have a few ideas and it is something that I'm excited to explore.
My first study (what I will be bringing to this particular crit) and one of my favorite places to go in da burg is Daylight Donuts. It is right outside my backdoor, and is important to me and my story here. I have been going in the early mornings and sketching, jotting down thoughts and things I hear and see. Here are just a few examples:



Images from my sketchbook

From these sketches and a few reference photos, I have been making watercolor and graphite studies of them. Most are 5x7" but some are larger due to content. Here's a sneak peek!
The Cake Donut: 72 cents. 


Since beginning this, I have discovered that I could honestly do an entire series on JUST Daylight Donuts. It's really been a blast. Also since starting, I can't help but see them in a book. A whole book dedicated to this. The Exhibit is not until September, so I have decided that I am just going to make as many as I feel are necessary to tell this story. I mean how could making more art than you need ever be bad?? 

In this particular phase of my project, American painter and member of the Bay Area Figurative Movement, Wayne Thiebaud is a huge inspiration. His quiet works consisting of the mundane made fabulous are beautiful and charming. 

Wayne Thiebaud, Four Cupcakes, 1971.

Wayne Thiebaud, Delicatessan Counter, 1962.

No comments:

Post a Comment