Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Writing 5 (blog posts) for Crit 4

In my last critique I showed several pieces from my previous critiques (donuts and Mooreman's) as well as a new piece. A portrait of my current boyfriend, Jackson Sanor. I really enjoy working on portraits of people that have impacted me in some way or another. I was critiqued by Emi Gennis and briefly by Malcolm Kucharski. Emi gave me the advice to "GET THESE ON THE INTERNET." She suggested that these pieces are very marketable and that people in a town like this would be interested in some art like the donuts and bar scenes. She encouraged me to keep gooooooing! Do other businesses! Maybe the school? I will once again be in Pittsburg for the summer and I intend to use that time to work on more Pittsburg Love Pieces. The watercolor and the graphite just go hand in hand like PB&J. I would like to have a large set to compile for print for the Student Art Fair put on in the fall. Posters, greeting cards, prints, booklets etc. I'm really excited about this project. I hope that I can keep this fire burning into the fall.
For this next critique I have made another portrait piece, this time of my most influential professor, Emi Gennis.
Some Sketches and color tests.
Emi has really showed me the internet. I know that makes me sound like I'm four, BUT she's really opened my eyes to the art world that is online. There are so many communities of young, thriving artists out there making so so much art! Amazing, inspirational, puts-a-fire-in-you-and-makes-you-feel-like-you're-gonna-be-just-fine kind of art! Finding the web has really helped me as an artist and shaped my style and growth. I owe her a lot. 
Emi Gennis, 9x12, watercolor and graphite
Along with that, I'm working on a study of her hands at work (I mean she is an artist.)
Hands 5x7 graphite
They're just graphite right now, and I'm not to sure about the angle... but I'm going to try to get it watercolored and bring it to critique for thoughts. I had hoped to get a little bit of my next portrait worked on but I don't know if I'll be able to. 


2.) Next I would like to take a moment to talk about another student, and friend, in my critique course- Brittney Walton. She is a quiet, calming person that loves dogs more than dogs love dogs. This semester she has been working on a creative project involving etchings. 
I really admire her effort and ingenuity. I can tell that she has done quite a bit of research in order to work on these pieces in such a creative way. In order to get the amount of pressure to ink the etchings she ran them over with her car, see below!

I quite enjoyed her final pieces. Some didn't turn out as she expected, but that comes with taking such a risk. 

Since then she's been working with linocuts. 





No comments:

Post a Comment